Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sacrifice Brings Forth the Blessings of Heaven

... that has been the phrase that has been running through my head tonight. Making sacrifices can be hard. Sacrifice is the opposite of selfishness. I try not to be a selfish person. But I find as I get older that I am selfish in different ways than my teenage self was. I have let go of the petty high school selfishness that comes with the territory of being at that age, but with that comes different things to be greedy about. If you're not careful, the things you are selfish about when you're older can be more self-destructive.

   So I think I'm coming to understand the importance of sacrifice more and more. I've had to make a few sacrifices lately. Some have definitely been harder than others and if it has been for people I love then I am happy to do it and it leads to a greater desire to make those kinds of decisions. I'm not saying we have to be martyrs and give up all the things we've ever desired. It's been a learning experience for me that when we choose to make sacrifices that we've been asked to make we are blessed ten-fold in other ways. Exercising our agency to make sacrifices and then doing so out of love makes the difference.

    Making a sacrifice out of obedience is a gift, making a sacrifice out of love is power.

No comments:

Post a Comment